How to get the Spotify plugin working

Get help for Volumio here!

Ads helps Volumio remain Free and Open Source. Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Postby skikirkwood » Sun May 19 2019 22:22

There are two Spotify plugins for Volumio - Volumio Spotify Connect 2 (by Balbuze and Ashthespy), and Spotify (by Volumio Team). To get the latter "Spotify" plugin working correctly on Volumio you will need to update it as follows.

If you've already installed the Spotify plugin remove it, and reboot your system.

SSH into your Volumio system and type the following:

Code: Select all
wget https://github.com/majko96/volumio-plugins/raw/master/plugins/music_service/spotify/spotify.zip
mkdir ./spotify
miniunzip spotify.zip -d ./spotify
cd ./spotify
volumio plugin install
cd ..
rm -Rf spotify*

Now go to Plugins -> Installed Plugins on Volumio and activate the plugin, putting in your Spotify Premium account credentials. On the third line, where it is asking for your Spotify refresh token, click the "i" icon to the right of the text field and you will see a line with the URL http://54.86.144.136:8888. Go to that URL in a separate browser window, authenticate with your Spotify Premium account credentials, and cut and paste the Refresh Token into the field on the Volumio Spotify credentials screen. Hit the Save button.

volumio.png
volumio.png (1.32 MiB) Viewed 1420 times

You should be up and running with a greatly enhanced version of Spotify - and it works. :)

Thanks to @ma_sk1 for doing the UI extension for the refresh token and the custom install script.

A version of this plugin will be incorporated into the main Volumio distribution in the future.
Volumio 2 on Raspberry Pi 3 B+, Schiit Modi 2 Multibit DAC, Volumio 2 on Raspberry Pi 3, IQAudio Pi-DAC+, Schiit Freya preamp, Bryston 3b power amp, B&W 803 speakers
skikirkwood
Objectivist
Objectivist

Ads helps Volumio remain Free and Open Source. Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Postby Tomstrawn » Sat Aug 10 2019 21:48

This does not work for the aug 2019 release. Hangs at downloading plugin.
Fix should be in release, not a bad patch. No money for broken software.

Otherwise I really like Volumio.
Random avatar
Tomstrawn
Fresh off the boat
Fresh off the boat

Postby tomlid » Mon Aug 12 2019 10:50

Works on my Pi 3 B + pi 7" Touch screen.
If like me you may find it easier to cut and paste the refresh token into /data/configuration/music_service/spop/config.json as I am unsure how to open another web browser from within Volumio.
Random avatar
tomlid
Fresh off the boat
Fresh off the boat

Postby maziggy » Fri Aug 23 2019 05:27

Works on experimental build for RPI4.

Thanks!
Random avatar
maziggy
Fresh off the boat
Fresh off the boat

Postby Quadron » Thu Aug 29 2019 12:29

Works for Volumio 2.599 ( Aug/19) and Spotify 1.3.5

It was quite easy fix after you get SSH enabled.

Big Thank you, I finally got my playlists and albums back!
Random avatar
Quadron
Fresh off the boat
Fresh off the boat

Postby lemonmagic » Fri Sep 13 2019 14:25

Hi,

since the new Plugin I am having troubles with the Music Playback.
Spotify basically works, but after a few Hours (sometimes Days), Volumio keeps stopping to play music.
Pressing "skip track" helps, but as soon as it happens once, the Error happens every few Tracks.
Rebooting helps most of the time, sometimes I have to switch to a different Source for a Day or two,
until Spotify works better again.
Random avatar
lemonmagic
Sunday DIYer
Sunday DIYer

Return to Help