HifiBerry DAC no sound

Diy? Low-budget? Esoterics? Let's discuss about DACS!

Ads helps Volumio remain Free and Open Source. Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

HifiBerry DAC no sound

Postby ian2000t » Thu May 10 2018 07:27

I started my new Raspberry Pi build before - RPi2+HifiBerry DAC+Volumio (latest version), but I'm having problems enabling the DAC.

If I enable i2s, and select "HifiBerry DAC", I get no sound at all.
If I disable i2s, and set to "Audio Jack" I get sound form the 3.5mm socket.
If I enable i2s, and select "Allo BOSS", I get sound through the DAC RCA connectors. But, the sound seems very weighted towards the centre - almost as though it's Mono.

I've tried disabling i2s, rebooting, re-enabling i2s and rebooting but still didn't seem to give any output set to "HifiBerry DAC".

Any suggestions? How do I tell if my board is "HifiBerry DAC" or "HifiBerry DAC+"? I bought it a while ago.
Random avatar
ian2000t
Fresh off the boat
Fresh off the boat

Ads helps Volumio remain Free and Open Source. Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

HifiBerry DAC no sound

Postby chrisrm9208 » Sat May 19 2018 08:11

For HiFiBerry, there's either a single crystal device or the dual crystal, the Pro. The board itself will have a name on it, but it's very likely that you have the DAC+. Anything else is likely to be Volumio not getting its naming correct.

If you're getting any sound out of it, with any settings, then the board is working; for me, whenever I've had weird shit happen with a Pi, I've always found that throwing the microSD card away and starting again with a new one fixed it...
Random avatar
chrisrm9208
Objectivist
Objectivist

HifiBerry DAC no sound

Postby ian2000t » Fri Jun 22 2018 11:49

Ok, this is really annoying now.

I don't know how, but it did finally start working, and has been for a while... until I changed something for testing. Now, I cannot get it to go back onto I2S.

So, I set I2S DAC "On", select DAC Model as "HifiBerry DAC Plus" (which I know it is now), press "Save", and as soon as I reboot, it's back to I2S disabled.

I've tried setting it so many different ways - starting from HDMI/Audio Jack, also tried setting to Allo Boss which gave me audio before somehow, but it just keeps defaulting back to I2S "Off". Help please!

Is there a way I can configure this through SSH, rather than the buggy UI?
Random avatar
ian2000t
Fresh off the boat
Fresh off the boat

HifiBerry DAC no sound

Postby chrisrm9208 » Sun Jun 24 2018 12:26

Every time the RPis have misbehaved or begun to behave inconsistently, I've bent my brains around testing the damn things until... I try a new SD card. That has always worked, so try a different SD card with Volumio and the logical card settings, then see what happens,

Chris M
Random avatar
chrisrm9208
Objectivist
Objectivist

Re: HifiBerry DAC no sound

Postby advr61 » Sun Sep 09 2018 08:11

Hi,

I have the same problem with my dac plus pro (that version I can not choose) but after restart, i2s is off. It's happening after latest Volumio version.

SD card new and reimaged.

Besides is there a setting for the pro?

Regards,
Ad.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G960F met Tapatalk
Random avatar
advr61
Fresh off the boat
Fresh off the boat

HifiBerry DAC no sound

Postby nuart » Tue Feb 19 2019 11:42

Hello,
same issue here with Raspi PI2B and Hifiberry DAC+. I choose the DAC+, Alsa Error, I switch I2S off, restart, then choose Hifiberry DAC, restart, change to DAC+ (without restart) and it works. After a reboot in some cases I2S is again off, or the setup of the DAC is back to Hifiberry DAC.
So I took the setting wit Hifiberry DAC and the System runs stable, also after rebooting. But now I would be interested if there are any differences between the settings of DAC vor DAC+. Are there any effects in sound quality or compatibility?
Any idea of other users or Volumio?
Regards leo
Random avatar
nuart
Sunday DIYer
Sunday DIYer

HifiBerry DAC no sound

Postby Bigguy2018 » Wed Feb 20 2019 13:14

Check the PSU voltage at the DAC. They can be fussy and like 5.2VDC.
RPi 3B, HiFiBerry DAC Pro + , RemotePi, Volumio
ASUS Tinkerboard, OSA DACBerry ONE, Volumio
Bigguy2018
Sunday DIYer
Sunday DIYer

HifiBerry DAC no sound

Postby nuart » Wed Feb 20 2019 19:01

Thank you for your reply. I tried another PSU (original Raspberry) output 5,1/2,5A and it is the same. Maybe I find a PSU with 5.2. Do you have a recommendation?
Random avatar
nuart
Sunday DIYer
Sunday DIYer

HifiBerry DAC no sound

Postby SanjeevM » Sun Feb 24 2019 14:43

Hi Bigguy !

Does your Tinker board setup sound better than your RPI?

Regards.
RPi3B / Boss DAC 1.2 on Linear PSU / 7in Waveshare Screen / TPA3255 Class-D on MW LRS-350 / Paradigm Monitor 11;
Random avatar
SanjeevM
Sunday DIYer
Sunday DIYer

HifiBerry DAC no sound

Postby Bigguy2018 » Thu Feb 28 2019 13:47

There's not a lot of difference I can hear between the OSA Dacberry One and the HifiBerry DAC; the OSA has a little more bass and sounds a little more focused. It depends on the track being played.

Re PSUs; I found the official Pi PSU (5V1) works well.
Also the NorthPada Raspberry Pi 3 Model B 3A Power Supply.

I'm using the MeanWell RPS-30-05 30W PSU (which has an adjustable 4.7 - 5.5VDC output) in my Volumio players and find them totally reliable at 5.25VDC.

https://volumio.org/forum/volumio-build-t9833.html
RPi 3B, HiFiBerry DAC Pro + , RemotePi, Volumio
ASUS Tinkerboard, OSA DACBerry ONE, Volumio
Bigguy2018
Sunday DIYer
Sunday DIYer

Next

Return to DACs