Help needed: Camera for Volumio2 to capture still images

Discuss, contribute and orient Volumio development!

Ads helps Volumio remain Free and Open Source. Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Postby Abakaba » Mon Oct 29 2018 21:27

Dear experts,

My idea is to combine the excellent Volumio2 player with a QR Code Scanner.
I am struggling with using the camera module on the Volumio2. I cannot find anything in the Internet or the forum on this.

Does anybody have en idea how I can install e.g. picamera on the Volumio2 distribution or how I can get an still image from a Raspi or USB camera?

Many thanks in advance for your help,

Best,
Cornelius
Random avatar
Abakaba
Fresh off the boat
Fresh off the boat

Ads helps Volumio remain Free and Open Source. Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Postby chsims1 » Mon Nov 05 2018 16:37

Presumably you're talking about a RPi here ;)

Add the following to config.txt to enable the camera:

gpu_mem=128
start_file=start_x.elf
fixup_file=fixup_x.dat

and then install your camera software of choice.

Note that you taking a chunk of memory for the GPU here ... don't know if it will have much impact on those models with less RAM. Also, make sure you DON'T do a 'sudo apt-get upgrade' as many of the installation guides suggest, or you will likely destroy your Volumio installation.
New to Volumio? Please read the Quick Start Guide to get your system up and running :). FAQs? Docs?
chsims1

Postby KidorioL » Tue Oct 08 2019 21:00

Hey guys did I get you right, you want to improve the picture quality? If so I know the only one way which I chose for myself it's a gimbal stabilizer click here and it's really improves the quality of photos and especially videos but here the topic is not about the video as I can see. But whatever I think you should to try, maybe this will help you with your problem.
Random avatar
KidorioL
Fresh off the boat
Fresh off the boat

Return to Development talks