Hello , presentation and problems with native DSD

Tell us who you are, why you love music and well... why Volumio!

Ads helps Volumio remain Free and Open Source. Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Postby PaoloF » Tue Jun 18 2019 19:19

Hello,
my name is Paolo Ferroni, I'm a new member of the forum.
I am passionate about Hi-fi, particularly interested in liquid music, which I listened to until now by connecting a Windows PC, on which I installed JRiver, to the dac North Star Supremo.

My dac manage native DSD streams untiil DSD 256, with ASIO driver on Windows , directly with Linux or Apple o.s.;
Windows 10 with JRriver, however, does not correctly recognize the ASIO driver (written for Windows 7).

So, I decided to buy an Pro-ject Stream Box s2 ultra, which implement Volumio.

I have connected the Stream Box to my dac, but it don't play DSD direct: if I set DoP the sistem play with DSD 128, but not with DSD 256.

If I correctly understood, probably it necessary add my dac to the list of DACs compatible with direct DSD stream, of Volumio.
I don't know exactly what data is necessary to do that, and I have no experience with Linux systems, when I connect my dac to a windows pc i see:

PCM-DSD USB Audio Interface
constructor: North Star Design srl

ID hardware: USB\VID_16D0&PID_07D7&REV_0181
USB\VID_16D0&PID_0707

ID compatible: USB\DevClass_00&SubClass_00&Prot_00
USB\DevClass_00&SubClass_00
USB\DevClass_00
USB\COMPOSITE

Capacity: 00000014
CM_DEVCAP_REMOVABLE
CM_DEVCAP_UNIQUEID

I hope these data are sufficient to define the problem and look for instructions, thank you.I hope these data are sufficient to define the problem and I await for instructions, thank you.

Paolo Ferroni
Random avatar
PaoloF
Fresh off the boat
Fresh off the boat

Ads helps Volumio remain Free and Open Source. Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Postby PaoloF » Tue Jun 25 2019 07:35

No reply?

Maybe, should I post the question in another section of the Forum?
Random avatar
PaoloF
Fresh off the boat
Fresh off the boat

Postby michelangelo » Tue Jun 25 2019 09:37

Hi Paolo!
Yes, what you provided is exactly what we need, and we will add to the next version of Pro-Ject stream box S2 Ultra software.

PS: How do you like it?
michelangelo
Founder

Postby PaoloF » Wed Jun 26 2019 07:53

michelangelo wrote:Hi Paolo!
Yes, what you provided is exactly what we need, and we will add to the next version of Pro-Ject stream box S2 Ultra software.

Very good, I'm waiting it. Thanks.

michelangelo wrote:PS: How do you like it?

I don't kow, you can send it to my mail with instruction for upload it in Pro-ject Stream Box. I see that from Pro-ject Stream Box interface is possible search, downolad and install new system versions; perhaps it is also possible to access Volumio and manage the upload directly, but I don't know how.
Random avatar
PaoloF
Fresh off the boat
Fresh off the boat

Postby PaoloF » Fri Jun 28 2019 15:18

PaoloF wrote:
michelangelo wrote:Hi Paolo!

Excuse me, is it possible to have a forecast on when the next version of the Pro-ject Stream Box s2 ultra software will be released?
Thank you.
Random avatar
PaoloF
Fresh off the boat
Fresh off the boat

Postby PaoloF » Sat Jul 27 2019 08:19

Yesterday, through the stream box software, I downloaded the 1.038 version of the system.
Nothing has changed: if I set up DSD direct, Roon converts the data stream to PCM 352, so the dac is not considered capable of receiving DSD data directly. :(
Random avatar
PaoloF
Fresh off the boat
Fresh off the boat

Postby PaoloF » Thu Sep 05 2019 09:17

Hi Michelangelo!
Yesterday I downloaded an other version of Pro-Ject Stream BoX S2 Ultra system: no. 1.041, released Fri Jul 26 19:53:26 CEST 2019.
My dac North Star Design Supremo (PCM-DSD Adio Interface) is still not recognized as capable of manging DSD direct:
- if I set DSD direct reproduction the file (DSD, DSD128 or DSD256) is automatically converted to PCM at 384kHz;
- if I set DSD over PCM (DoP) only files DSD and DSD128 are trasmitted to dac in DSD format, DSD256 is still converted to PCM.

Moreover now the Stream Box S2 Ultra, through its web application, no longer sees the network disks, the search never ends ... luckily everything continues to work as before through ROON.

I have pointed out to the Audiogamma importer the problem of the network and the fact that probably the current version of the system has not implemented the latest versions of Volumio and I have asked him to report the problem to Pro-ject.

Can you help me, thanks.
Paolo
Random avatar
PaoloF
Fresh off the boat
Fresh off the boat

Return to Introduce Yourself