Gulp TypeError:Cannot read property 'prototype' of undefined

I have just managed to get a working environment under Windows 10, intending to have a play with the UI. I am following the documentation on the Volumio website. Before making ANY changes, I am just trying to look at it on a local browser but when I run gulp it exits with the following error.

[code]$ gulp serve --theme=“volumio”
D:\Volumiodev\Volumio2-UI\node_modules\karma\node_modules\socket.io\lib\store.js:35
Store.prototype.proto = EventEmitter.prototype;
^

TypeError: Cannot read property ‘prototype’ of undefined
at Object. (D:\Volumiodev\Volumio2-UI\node_modules\karma\node_modules\socket.io\lib\store.js:35:42)
at Module._compile (module.js:643:30)
at Object.Module._extensions…js (module.js:654:10)
at Module.load (module.js:556:32)
at tryModuleLoad (module.js:499:12)
at Function.Module._load (module.js:491:3)
at Module.require (module.js:587:17)
at require (internal/module.js:11:18)
at Object. (D:\Volumiodev\Volumio2-UI\node_modules\karma\node_modules\socket.io\lib\manager.js:16:13)
at Module._compile (module.js:643:30)
[/code]

Searching around for this error, it seems to often be caused by various versions of different bits clashing. If that is likely why it isn’t working for me, is there a list of what versions of node.js, bower, gulp, etc that will work?

What version of Node.js are you using?

Find out with:

node -v

I think I experienced this or at least something very close to this, which was fixed by downgrading to Node.js 6.11.0 (that’s the version that currently ships with the RPi images).

Good luck.

v8.9.4 so I need to downgrade.

Right, so I downgraded to 6.11.0 and gulp now runs. However, all it is serving is a charcoal grey screen.

If you had done this last week you’d now have it all working. This week it’s broken. See this:

info-latest-release-gulp-constant-breaks-volumio2-t8526.html

How annoying :slight_smile: OK will give the fix a go. Thanks so much.

and we have SUCCESS !! Thanks again. Now I can play :slight_smile:

Similar error here, thanks for the report which helped me fix it.

I am on a fedora system, and ended up installing node version 6.13.0 (as 6.11.0 gave different errors).