Failed to open "alsa"

Hello all,
I have a DAC Allo Boss with my Raspberry with the official tactil screen.
For some reasons I cannot explain the player often does not play.
I have the following message:
Failed to open “alsa” [alsa]; Failed to open ALSA device “hw:1,0”: No such file or directory
Usually I just restart the Raspberry and it work again but sometimes I have to reboot several times.
I tried to uninstall & reinstall the DAC several times in the output device in the “playback options” but I did not fix the issue
I fully reinstall volumio… same issue…
do you believe it is related to the DAC itself? I bought the allo boss on the shop of volumio.org to make sure I had a genuine DAC but maybe it is a hardware issue?
Thanks for your help
Guillaume

no idea on how to fix it? Am I the only one to have such kind of issue?
thx for your help
g

Hi,
you write your issue is happening often but not alway. It can be HW issue. Check cable and connectors or temperature. Other cause of your issue can be ALSA device is opened from different program like KODI or other program which play music or sound. Sounds can be played also, when you interact with GUI. Try uninstall all plugins and check behavior. If it not helps, try unconnect touch screen and check behavior.

hi
I have the save problem but i have a hifiberry AMP2 on pi 3

install volumio several times and I always have the same error

Aug 29 17:06:24 volumio kernel: snd_bcm2835: module is from the staging directory, the quality is unknown, you have been warned.
Aug 29 17:06:24 volumio kernel: snd_bcm2835: unknown parameter ‘index’ ignored
Aug 29 17:06:24 volumio kernel: bcm2835_alsa bcm2835_alsa: card created with 8 channels
Aug 29 17:06:24 volumio kernel: snd-hifiberry-amp soc:sound: ASoC: CPU DAI (null) not registered - will retry
Aug 29 17:06:24 volumio kernel: snd-hifiberry-amp soc:sound: ASoC: CODEC DAI tas5713-hifi not registered - will retry
Aug 29 17:06:25 volumio systemd[1]: Starting Sound Card.
Aug 29 17:06:25 volumio systemd[1]: Reached target Sound Card.
Aug 29 17:06:25 volumio kernel: tas5713 1-001b: ASoC: failed to probe component -121
Aug 29 17:06:25 volumio kernel: snd-hifiberry-amp soc:sound: ASoC: failed to instantiate card -121
Aug 29 17:06:25 volumio kernel: pcm512x 1-004d: 1-004d supply AVDD not found, using dummy regulator
Aug 29 17:06:25 volumio kernel: pcm512x 1-004d: 1-004d supply DVDD not found, using dummy regulator
Aug 29 17:06:25 volumio kernel: pcm512x 1-004d: 1-004d supply CPVDD not found, using dummy regulator
Aug 29 17:06:25 volumio kernel: brcmfmac: F1 signature read @0x18000000=0x1541a9a6
Aug 29 17:06:25 volumio kernel: brcmfmac: brcmf_fw_map_chip_to_name: using brcm/brcmfmac43430-sdio.bin for chip 0x00a9a6(43430) rev 0x000001
Aug 29 17:06:25 volumio kernel: usbcore: registered new interface driver brcmfmac
Aug 29 17:06:25 volumio kernel: snd-hifiberry-amp soc:sound: snd_soc_register_card() failed: -121
Aug 29 17:06:25 volumio kernel: snd-hifiberry-amp: probe of soc:sound failed with error -121

for more logs.volumio.org/volumio/sWsxCcE.html

Any explanation of this issue?

Thanks for your answers
I uninstalled the screen and not it seems to work
however I bought the system to be able to control directly the music from the screen therefore I am a bit disappointed… do you think it is an issue with the way the screen is connected? maybe a defective screen (although it was brand new when I bought the full pack…)
Guillaume

false hope… it continues to do exactly the same although I have uninstall all plugins…
Failed to open “alsa” [alsa]; Failed to open ALSA device “hw:1,0”: No such file or directory
any idea?

Same problem with Allo Sparky. I have to reboot each time to solve temperately.

Update - My problem with failed to open alsa was the external DAC was not powered up.

Update II - Rebooting does no solve the problem

I have seen this problem when the supply voltage at the DAC is low - the RPi is happy and does not show a low volts warning, but the DAC does not like it.
Re-plugging the DAC into RPi and re-seating all the power connections seems to fix it.
I now run my (adjustable) PSU to give 5.35V at the RPi header pins.

I also had the problem with some versions of Volumio builds.
v2.389 appears to work best.

YMMV

HI Bigguy,
I do have the same problem. As workaround I’ve tried to deactivated I2S DAC, then reboot, then again selected I2S DAC, but apart from one or two times also this didn’t help. It’s perhaps 4 from 5 times I start the system it is like this and always a big hassle until it’s running again. Very anoying.
My system: RP PI3B, Allo Kali & Piano 2.1 and I use the PSU which came with the Allo bundle.
Therefore: Which PSU you are using (Manufacture & Model)?
Regards Axel

hello
happy to see that I am not the only one to have this issue…
I will try with another PSU to see if there is an improvement…
G

Those who are reporting that rebooting doesn’t always seem to help - does powering the system down completely before restarting it make a difference?

Daniele

I have the same problem, Raspberry Pi 3B + Audio DAC II + Volumio 2.502 . The system starts and works normally, you can change the settings and reboot. But it is necessary to turn off the “Power off” and turn off the power, the mileage will again be at least 2-3 hours. Previously, it gives an Alsa error. The volume mixer is not defined. The power supply is the official Raspberry Pi. With a DAC from another manufacturer, the system works perfectly with the same power supply , raspberry pi and SD card. Could it be an I2S DAC fault?

Hi Daniele,
so far it made no difference for me.
Regards Axel

Hi Baretg,
have you tried it with another PSU?
Regards Axel

Hey Guys

I did have the same issue and tried the same action, reboot, and it worked a few times.
I am running Volumio with Spotify on Resp Pi B+ and Applepi DAC.

I reset the Volumio to factory status and updated it. Problem solved. Youtube and USB data playback work again.

Another issue:
Lately, there was a Spotify update.
If you are using it, please be careful at connecting. Volumio used to be shown on the “device” but now you need to click on the bottom option, bluetooth…, and you can see “Volumio” again and click it for connecting.

I had the same problem - rebooting would sometimes work. What solved the problem was a higher capacity power supply. I haven’t had the problem sense. You should re flash the sd card & use higher capacity PS.

@Steve, which PSU you’ve bought?