Es9018K2M

Diy? Low-budget? Esoterics? Let's discuss about DACS!

Ads helps Volumio remain Free and Open Source. Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Es9018K2M

Postby Mkf » Sun May 11 2014 18:59

Diyinhk new dac "ES9018K2M XMOS DSD DXD 384kHz USB DAC with Bit-perfect volume control and SPDIF input"
Anybody looking at this new one?
Wondering if this will work with i2s without the Xmos?
Is the spdif select and input option dependent on CMOS module to work?
It's not clear if the clock is on the dac board or only on the Xmos module?

Would be great to know if this would work as a network player with volumio and switchable to spdif as a dac. No USB required.
Random avatar
Mkf
Sunday DIYer
Sunday DIYer

Ads helps Volumio remain Free and Open Source. Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Es9018K2M

Postby sjaaklaan » Wed Oct 01 2014 20:04

Did you (or anyone else) try this? Did it work? Did the DSD also work on I2S?
Random avatar
sjaaklaan
Sunday DIYer
Sunday DIYer

Es9018K2M

Postby DerekR » Thu Oct 02 2014 01:56

Tread carefully here. Tried it and, long story short, the bit perfect volume does not appear to work on Linux. At least, I was unable to get it to work - after input from some luminaries and DIYINHK itself - who essentially said they had not tried it on the Linux platform.

Ended up going the Hifiduino route for volume control digitally. And there was an issue there as well - if you use the modified firmware DIYINHK XMOS board then there is an I2C conflict which leads to horrible jumps in volume when the sample rate changes. With much helpful investigation and advice from BlgGear at Hifiduino the solution appears to be to buy the K2M and the non-modified USB board (either the standard one or the isolated version) and implement the very elegant Hifiduino solution which allows remote volume control with the aluminum Apple remote, ESS 32-bit digital volume control, LCD display and the ability to manipulate all the digital filters in the K2M.

I used an Adafruit Pro Trinket 3V (so did not need logic level converters) and one of Adafruit's quarter size perma proto boards - everything fit neatly, including the two pots for contrast and backlight brightness, with a little cutting of traces. Mods to Hifiduino's code were straightforward - mainly to accommodate the lack of pins 2 and 7 on the Pro Trinket. And yes, it sounds great!
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (1.4 MiB) Viewed 6897 times
Last edited by DerekR on Sat Oct 04 2014 19:24, edited 1 time in total.
Random avatar
DerekR
Serious Listener
Serious Listener

Es9018K2M

Postby DerekR » Fri Oct 03 2014 19:29

Michelangelo - have you tried the B+ with the ESS 9018K2M? Or any ESS 9018?

I had the K2M working with a B and Volumio 1.3. But cannot get sound out of the B+ with the K2M via I2S. Using pin 12 for BCK, pin 35 for LRCK and pin 40 for data. Is there a different driver required for the ESS?
Random avatar
DerekR
Serious Listener
Serious Listener

Es9018K2M

Postby Mkf » Wed Oct 08 2014 16:37

No, did not try yet, but might do so.
Would be nice if we can get additional detailed info here from people who did.
For example, would like to know if the board without the USB addon would work with i2s as is?
Is it enough to connect spdif to the dedicated pad and it would it be selected automatically if spdif signal is present?
Currently I would like to avoid sw mode and programming.
Tnx for sharing
Random avatar
Mkf
Sunday DIYer
Sunday DIYer

Es9018K2M

Postby AudioS » Thu Oct 09 2014 19:46

I try to connect ES9018 (DIYINHK board + 48Mhz XO) to RPi B via I2s, but it work only with resample option turned on to any sampling rate. When resample is disabled volume is at max with lot's of distorsions.
In Runeaudio there is no resample option and Es9018 cannot work at all. I have tryed all mpd output settings but always same result - no sound or very distorted.
Random avatar
AudioS
Fresh off the boat
Fresh off the boat

Re: Es9018K2M

Postby tux » Sat Oct 11 2014 05:59

DerekR are you satisfied with this DAC? I am about to buy it start collecting all the components needed and I would really like to have an opinion on how it sounds.

Sent from my Oneplus One
tux
Serious Listener
Serious Listener

Es9018K2M

Postby balbuze » Sat Oct 11 2014 12:22

Hi!
If you speak french, this link may interest you http://jipihorn.wordpress.com/2014/05/2 ... s-mesures/
and that one too : http://jipihorn.wordpress.com/2014/06/1 ... de-es9018/
ok it is not exactly the same board but you can find some interesting informations. ;)
balbuze

Re: Es9018K2M

Postby DerekR » Sun Oct 12 2014 22:10

tux wrote:DerekR are you satisfied with this DAC? I am about to buy it start collecting all the components needed and I would really like to have an opinion on how it sounds.

Sent from my Oneplus One

Am I satisfied with this DAC? Yes, it is a noticeable step up over the ESS9023 and TI 5102 boards I have. Noticeable improvements in bass definition, instrument separation and resolution in general - especially seems to make lyrics easier to make out. YMMV.

What components are you collecting? I currently use it with an Alix 2d2 board running Voyage MPD and it compares reasonably with more expensive DACs - flawlessly plays 24/192 and DSD64. However, I have not had a lot of success with the Raspi/Volumio package via I2S - hence my post above. I suspect it's a driver issue but I await more expert opinions.....

If you're collecting the parts to implement the Hifiduino control then go for it - great bang for the buck - but ensure that if you're going for USB input you buy a USB to I2S board that can do DSD and DXD and does not have any modified-for-volume control firmware.
Random avatar
DerekR
Serious Listener
Serious Listener

Es9018K2M

Postby DerekR » Sun Oct 12 2014 22:18

AudioS wrote:I try to connect ES9018 (DIYINHK board + 48Mhz XO) to RPi B via I2s, but it work only with resample option turned on to any sampling rate. When resample is disabled volume is at max with lot's of distorsions.
In Runeaudio there is no resample option and Es9018 cannot work at all. I have tryed all mpd output settings but always same result - no sound or very distorted.

I believe the requirement to turn on re sampling is a known issue - at least that was what Michelangelo said to me in a post elsewhere on this forum. What version of Volumio did you use and what I2S driver when you had it working?
Random avatar
DerekR
Serious Listener
Serious Listener

Next

Return to DACs