Es9018K2M

Diy? Low-budget? Esoterics? Let's discuss about DACS!

Ads helps Volumio remain Free and Open Source. Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Es9018K2M

Postby tux » Wed Dec 31 2014 18:13

DerekR wrote:I used an Adafruit Pro Trinket 3V (so did not need logic level converters) and one of Adafruit's quarter size perma proto boards - everything fit neatly, including the two pots for contrast and backlight brightness, with a little cutting of traces. Mods to Hifiduino's code were straightforward - mainly to accommodate the lack of pins 2 and 7 on the Pro Trinket. And yes, it sounds great!

Hi Derek,

I am about to implement the hifiduino solution and I have one question with regards to the screen you used. I assume that using a 3.3V arduino you also bought a 3.3V display. Please can you give me a link of this product?

Thank you in advance!
tux
Serious Listener
Serious Listener

Ads helps Volumio remain Free and Open Source. Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Es9018K2M

Postby DerekR » Wed Dec 31 2014 19:35

tux wrote:
DerekR wrote:I used an Adafruit Pro Trinket 3V (so did not need logic level converters) and one of Adafruit's quarter size perma proto boards - everything fit neatly, including the two pots for contrast and backlight brightness, with a little cutting of traces. Mods to Hifiduino's code were straightforward - mainly to accommodate the lack of pins 2 and 7 on the Pro Trinket. And yes, it sounds great!

Hi Derek,

I am about to implement the hifiduino solution and I have one question with regards to the screen you used. I assume that using a 3.3V arduino you also bought a 3.3V display. Please can you give me a link of this product?

Thank you in advance!

tux - no I did not use a 3v3 display. Used a standard 20x4 HD44780 display from eBay. It requires 5V. As I was building a single-chassis that included the K2M, Hifiduino, Alix (or Raspi) and an amplifier module I had the power supplies for everything in the chassis. So I used the 5V power supply for the Alix/Raspi to power the LCD and the 3v3 supply for the K2M to also power the Adafruit Pro Trinket.

Am willing to help with any queries about the implementation. Blg Gear on the Hifiduino site is the best guy to answer Hifiduino questions but I will help where I can. Good luck with the project, it's definitely worth it.
Random avatar
DerekR
Serious Listener
Serious Listener

Re: Es9018K2M

Postby tux » Wed Dec 31 2014 20:02

Thanks for your quick reply!

I have order a buono uno which can operate in both 3.3v and 5v and also two displays, one in 3.3v and one in 5v. I will test the 3.3v fist as want to avoid the converter.

In the next days I will start buying all the other needed components and I hope that I will have finished the project by the end of January.

Happy new year!

Sent from my Oneplus One
tux
Serious Listener
Serious Listener

Es9018K2M

Postby tux » Fri Jan 02 2015 13:42

Hi Derek!

the arduino clone I bought (Buono Uno R3) needs 6V+ input voltage. Do you believe that the solution below will be ok for hifiduino implementation?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LM317-Adjustabl ... 4accba7d57

Thank you in advance!
tux
Serious Listener
Serious Listener

Es9018K2M

Postby DerekR » Fri Jan 02 2015 18:33

tux wrote:Hi Derek!

the arduino clone I bought (Buono Uno R3) needs 6V+ input voltage. Do you believe that the solution below will be ok for hifiduino implementation?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LM317-Adjustabl ... 4accba7d57

Thank you in advance!

Yes, that will work fine for powering Buono. It's 1A max. output so probably better to use it only for the Hifiduino components - i.e not for powering Raspi as well.

Power the 5V LCD from the Buono's 5V out if you can. Check whether the Buono's 5V pin is still 5V after selecting 3v3. You only need the two i2S wires and ground from the K2M if you've connected the jumpers under the 20-pin connector on the K2M to send 3v3 and ground to the i2S output pins. If you've already soldered in the 20-pin connector then you need to run external 'jumper' cables on the back of the K2M board to the 3v3 and GND connectors as shown on BlgGear's site.

Depending on what perfboard approach you are taking, suggest leaving room for an NPN transistor near the 5V to switch off the LCD. I will get around to implementing the code to turn off the LCD via the Apple remote or after a suitable few seconds - I find it gets a little distracting leaving it on permanently.
Random avatar
DerekR
Serious Listener
Serious Listener

Postby DerekR » Fri Jan 02 2015 18:43

tux wrote:Thanks for your quick reply!

I have order a buono uno which can operate in both 3.3v and 5v and also two displays, one in 3.3v and one in 5v. I will test the 3.3v fist as want to avoid the converter.

In the next days I will start buying all the other needed components and I hope that I will have finished the project by the end of January.

Happy new year!

Sent from my Oneplus One

The 3v3 level issue only applies to the Arduino (Buono) and the K2M. Because the K2M is 3v3 the Arduino side has to be the same but the LCD can be 5V - just means you have to power it with 5V; it being 5V won't interfere with the 3v3 level required by the K2M/Buono side of things.
Random avatar
DerekR
Serious Listener
Serious Listener

Postby tux » Fri Jan 02 2015 20:48

Thank you very much for everything!

Sent from my Oneplus One
tux
Serious Listener
Serious Listener

Postby haden » Wed Feb 11 2015 06:03

tux wrote:Rpi+i2s support up to 192.

Sent from my Oneplus One

Does the new Rasperry pi 2 the same limitation? :?:
Leopoldo
Home Gear: Volumio (RPi Powered),DAC Audiophonics I-Sabre DAC ES9023 Raspberry Pi / I2S, AMP Galactron MK2120 (Luca Chiomenti Project), Loudspeakers ScanScan (Leopoldo Ceccarelli Project), Aedon Audio NPS1 (Renato Giussani Project)
haden
Fresh off the boat
Fresh off the boat

Previous

Return to DACs