Re-design of volume control icons

Hi guys,
in no time I come to you with a simple question…

Would you like to re-design the audio volume control icons disposition?

The modification is really simple, as show below!

Current:

New:

Please give me your feedback or any idea if you have it!

Thanks.

Personally, the original one makes good sense to me with volume down and up at opposite sides, but this could have come with familiarity. There is some logic to the proposed change, but nothing that I feel strongly about (for or against).

Ok, thanks for the answer.

Nobody else would like to tell thei opinion?

My consideraion comes from a common sense of perception about progression, and its applicability in this case study.

I believe macbooks have the same philosophy, since their order is also [mute/unmute] [volume down] [volume up]. So it must make sense somehow :wink: I never really use these buttons, so I have no preference as well.

I find the current disposition to be visually more pleasing than the proposed one.

I find the mute icon not explicit enough.

I’m no designer, but something like this or this would make sense.

Also having mute > lower volume > turn up volume in that order would be better.

@Jucgshu
Totally agree with you. We’ll work on adding a kind of slash on the mute icon as shown in following draft (it will be better for sure!)

@pintea
Can you at least give us a motivation?

I try to explain again my point of view (based on human math perception)

The current layout is an opposition with a central annulment point (x-10, 0, x+10) --> ie. (36,0,56) or (78,0,98)

over a linear progression (0, x-10, x+10) --> ie. (0, 36,56) or (0,78,98)

The last one seems really more smooth to me.

Current review status:

1 agree (Jucgshu)
2 partial agree (chsims1, Saiyato)
1 adverse (pintea)

Come on guys, let’s give us your feedback! :slight_smile:

From my personal experience, I recommend you to contact gapsystudio. They are true professionals and don’t take much for the job. You can check their portfolio and decide whether you like them or not modern design studio.

My autistic mind says this is the right order and icons :wink:
Volume.png