Decoder is to slow

If something seems really buggy, report it here!

Ads helps Volumio remain Free and Open Source. Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Decoder is to slow

Postby kermit_nc » Sun Aug 18 2019 17:11

I use the RPI 3b+ with hifiberry dac+ pro

Sometimes the playback becomes stuttering and the mpd.log shows the Decoder is to slow message.
It happens mostly with tidal master albums/titles.
I tried some cpu governors: also performance, conservative and, on demand showed no difference.
This state is very stable: pause and play changes nothing.
To stop this issue skip to the next or previous title or skipping within the title (forward / back).

I did some monitoring on this issue with tailing volumio.log and mpd.log. I also monitored the cpu with top:
mpd uses 1.5% (tidal), 2.0% (webradio) the stuttering playback only starts on the beginning of a !new! title. The cpu is 97%idle. So the decoder to slow issue comes from the prefetching of the next title. It is independent on cpu time for mpd or volumio (both around 1.5% peak) and it stops when I skip the title (fwd, rev, next, prev).
Random avatar
kermit_nc
Fresh off the boat
Fresh off the boat

Ads helps Volumio remain Free and Open Source. Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Decoder is to slow

Postby gorgias » Sun Aug 25 2019 12:54

I get it to but on long mp3 files/pod radio. Could it be network related? I Stream over wifi with pi 3b+.

Aug 25 13:59 : player: played "https://sverigesradio.se/topsy/ljudfil/podrss/7044133.mp3"
Aug 25 14:24 : player: Decoder is too slow; playing silence to avoid xrun
Random avatar
gorgias
Fresh off the boat
Fresh off the boat

Return to Bug reports