Cheap as chips system PI W and Justboom DACAMP

Tell us how you made up your Volumio powered Project

Ads helps Volumio remain Free and Open Source. Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Postby sheridat » Fri Oct 04 2019 14:53

Components.
1. A broken radio from ebay for £5
2. A pair of speakers from a couple of bookshelf speakers that were sitting unused in my garage
3. A Raspberry PI Zero W ( I bought the version where you has to solder on the header - about £7)
4. A JustBoom Amp Zero pHAT that is a combined DAC and AMP - they retail at around £24 and can push out up to 40W per channel.
5. An official 5volt 3W power supply retails at £7.50
So altogether £43.50

Build
1. Ripped out the radio's original tinny speakers and inserted the drivers from my bookshelf speakers. The actual physical dimensions were the same;
2. Soldered the headers on the PI W and mounted the DAC/AMP;
3. The Justboom amp/dac comes with an IR receiver to allow you to control it with an IR remote - I glued that between the speakers and connected it the DAC/AMP;
4. Burnt volumio on an SD card I already had;
5. Connected the speakers to the DAC/AMP outputs;
6. A Smart Plug the Alexa can control.
7. An otg cable to allow me to add a usb stick or drive
8. I have a USB HDD that I use for all sorts of things attached to my Broadband Router - Contains roughly 650 albums mostly in FLAC

Usage
1. I switch it on by simply asking Alexa to turn on the Smart Plug - this boots up volumio;
2. In general, once it emits the "booted up sound" I use Alexa to control what to play, the volume, pausing, playing etc using IFTT and the Volumio Rest API's - see this excellent post https://forum.volumio.org/volumio-controlled-amazon-alexa-t7967.html
3. I have my Logitech Harmony Elite/Harmony hub set up to control it but I hardly ever use it;
4. I sometimes use Airplay to stream from my Iphone and I also have the volumio apps on my apple and android devices;
5. If I'm using my Win 10 laptop I use the Web UI for control.
6.When I have decided to finish listening I use anything other than Alexa to get Volumio to shutdown Volumio (so the SD card based OS doesn't get corrupted)
7 After waiting a few seconds for the shutdown to happen I ask Alexa to turn of the smart plug.

I can thoroughly recommend the PI W and Justboom DAC/AMP pair which is surprising loud

From the outside it looks just like a nice little radio.
Attachments
IMG_0098.JPG
IMG_0098.JPG (1.93 MiB) Viewed 275 times
IMG_0099.JPG
IMG_0099.JPG (1.73 MiB) Viewed 275 times
Random avatar
sheridat
Fresh off the boat
Fresh off the boat

Ads helps Volumio remain Free and Open Source. Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Postby noiro » Sat Oct 12 2019 13:53

Cool!
Random avatar
noiro
Sunday DIYer
Sunday DIYer

Return to Diy Volumio Projects