Bluetooth Speaker Plugin

Discuss, contribute and orient Volumio development!

Ads helps Volumio remain Free and Open Source. Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Bluetooth Speaker Plugin

Postby KKMan » Wed Feb 07 2018 07:19

jasdmeyer wrote:
geeks-r-us wrote:Is this plugin intended for streaming music FROM Volumio, or is it possible to stream TO Volumio? My use case is to stream from my phone via bluetooth to a Pi 3 running Volumio with music output via the headphone jack. I'm using Volumio because I'll have a screen attached and I hope to see song info displayed.

Thanks

Here is a method that works OK for me, I can stream from my phone to volumio. You have to pair it manually but you don't need to change that often anyway. Please look at the end of the thread for the updated script I modified. I have also got a much newer version of Bluez installed on my setup (default Pi repository is 5.23, newest is 5.48).

volumio-bluez-alsa-a2dp-bluetooth-support-t6130.html
Random avatar
KKMan
Sunday DIYer
Sunday DIYer

Ads helps Volumio remain Free and Open Source. Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Bluetooth Speaker Plugin

Postby geeks-r-us » Wed Feb 07 2018 09:49

cr45hmurphy wrote:I am currently running Volumio version 2.348. I have copied over the UI files just fine, as well as installed the Bluetooth Speaker plugin. All things work fine. I am also able to connect to my speakers.

However, I do not hear any sound. After running
Code: Select all
sudo journalctl -f
I did not notice any outstanding errors.

One thing I do know is that there is no ability to choose "Bluetooth" as an option within the Playback Options. I have looked through this forum, as well as pretty much all of the GitHub links that have been provided, but haven't been able to find an answer to why the audio is not playing through the speakers. I have also tried on several different bluetooth speakers, with the same result.

I know that I am very close to figuring this out, so any push in the right direction is helpful. If you need any more information, I would be happy to provide it.

Thank you for creating this plugin, as well!

The Bluetooth speaker is currently added as a second audio sink beside the selected output (audio jack, HDMI, DAC ... ) so both will output the audio (bt has a little delay to the other output because of the encoding, transmission, decoding, stuff).

Bluetooth first starts playback after the a speaker is connected and a mpd starts a playback. mpd is not capable to attach the second sink to a running audio output.
Visit my blog about this and other DIY projects: http://www.geeks-r-us.de
If you like my plugins you can support me by buying me some coffee: https://www.buymeacoffee.com/YdV7B1rex
Random avatar
geeks-r-us
Serious Listener
Serious Listener

Bluetooth Speaker Plugin

Postby cr45hmurphy » Wed Feb 07 2018 21:41

Thanks for the reply.

Is there any other information I could send you to see what I need to do to get this speaker to play? I know that's a pretty broad question, but I'm just going with what I got.
Random avatar
cr45hmurphy
Fresh off the boat
Fresh off the boat

Bluetooth Speaker Plugin

Postby coen » Wed Feb 21 2018 22:08

I've installed the plugin and it is working great with music located on a usb drive. However, I can't get it to work in combination with the Spotify plugin.

I assumed it had something to do with the way spopd outputs the audio stream using sox/ao/oss/dummy. Therefore I've been playing around with different outputs (https://github.com/Schnouki/spop/blob/m ... onf.sample). However none of them appear to work.

Could anyone help me in the right direction?

(i'm on v2.368 using a rpi3)
Random avatar
coen
Fresh off the boat
Fresh off the boat

Bluetooth Speaker Plugin

Postby rumloser » Fri Feb 23 2018 22:16

Plugin works great for my setup (2.368, RPI 3b, 7" Touch, XB40 BT speakers), with the UI and plugin from the first post. thanks for the work!

Is there any chance that the plugin become official and the UI is integrated?

I tried to update the 2.368 UI with the BluetoothPluginController, but there is no chance with a texteditor. How can I do this?
Random avatar
rumloser
Fresh off the boat
Fresh off the boat

Bluetooth Speaker Plugin

Postby Caravan Volumio » Tue Feb 27 2018 13:06

Hi everyone.
I contributed to the following thread last year.
volumio-bluez-alsa-a2dp-bluetooth-support-t6130.html
and also started this new thread
zero-bluetooth-working-but-t6326.html

My Hardware is
Raspberry Pi Zero W
Hifi Berry Dac Zero
Guittarreria.com case
128Gb USB pen holding my complete music Lib (converted to MP3)

Software - volumio-2.141

it all been working well. Both connected from the DAC to the Aux In on the Caravan Radio & to the mini jack on my Studio Series Bluetooth speaker.
But I've never managed to get a working Bluetooth connection to the Studio Series and gave up trying.

With a new Caravaning season about to start, I was resigned to buying a Bluetooth Transmitter. To use beetween the Pi Zero and the Bluetooth Speaker.

Then I came across this thread and decided to have one more go.
I have updated to Volumio 2.368 and have it running well. I've downloaded the ui.zip and bluetooth_controller.zip. Now I am stuck at installing everything.
Despite trying various permutations, I just don't understand where and how I should be adding the contents of the un-zipped ui folder
I have yet to attempt installing the bluetooth plugin!
Could someone post a step, by step set of instructions for both parts of the install?
I am using my imac. On the desktop I can open the Volumio partitions. volumio, boot & volumio_data. I can also ssh to the Pi zero.

Thanks for looking and all the work.
Random avatar
Caravan Volumio
Sunday DIYer
Sunday DIYer

Bluetooth Speaker Plugin

Postby rumloser » Tue Feb 27 2018 21:04

For me these steps worked:

1. Make a backup from the one on your Volumio:
    scp volumio@IPAdressOfVolumio:/volumio/http/www /path/to/local/backupplace/www
  2. Download UI from first post
  3. unzip downloadet ui-zipfile (ex. to /path/to/ui)
  4. ssh to Volumio
    ssh volumio@IPAdressOfVolumio
  5. remove content of www on Volumio:
    rm -R /volumio/http/www/*
  6. Upload UI to Volumio:
    scp -r /path/to/ui volumio@[i]IPAdressOfVolumio[/i]:/volumio/http/www
  7. Check that the content of /volumio/http/www is korrekt
    index.html     
    scripts
    app           
    fonts             
    styles
    . If not: correkt it with cp or mv
  8. Reboot volumio and delete you browser cache -> now you should see in the Volumio-Webinterface -> Plugins -> a new third tab with a area, where you can drag and drop files
  9. download the controller zip file from the first post, but do not unzip it
  10. drag and drop the controller zip file to the area on the third tab -> it will install automatic which take a long time (15min +)
  11. Reboot volumio
  12. put your BT speaker in discoverable mode
  13. Volumio Webinterface -> plugins -> Bluetooth Manager -> put to on (slider becomes green) -> setup -> leave discoverable off -> hit refresh until you speaker shows up -> connect -> play music (worked for me with music from nfs/nas/usb/radio, not shure with Spotify)
  14. and you need some patience. For me it worked mostly for the first try, but sometimes waiting and rebooting helps...
Random avatar
rumloser
Fresh off the boat
Fresh off the boat

Bluetooth Speaker Plugin

Postby Caravan Volumio » Wed Feb 28 2018 21:01

Hi and thanks for the help.

Took me a little while to get my head around the "scp" command, but I have now copied the www folder, removed the www folder and added the ui folder. I have confirmed that index.html, scripts, app, fonts & styles are all included. So far so good.
But I'm now stuck at relaunching Volumio on Firefox.

Despite deleting the firefox browser cache and history i get the following message when trying to load volumio.local.

"The page isn't redirecting properly

Firefox has detected that the server is redirecting the request for this address in a way that will never complete.

This problem can sometimes be caused by disabling or refusing to accept cookies."

Would you have a solution please?

Thanks again
Random avatar
Caravan Volumio
Sunday DIYer
Sunday DIYer

Bluetooth Speaker Plugin

Postby Caravan Volumio » Thu Mar 01 2018 12:35

Getting there.
This morning I removed the ui folder from volumio/http/www. Then I added just the contents of the ui folder to www.
index.html
scripts
app
fonts
styles
After a reboot the web ui loaded no problem and the third tab was there in plugins. Dropped the bluetooth controller zip file onto this tab and it installed successfully.

The green active button is lit and volumio can see both my iMac & iPad. However, no matter what I do it the Studio Series Speaker never appears.

I will get trying

Thanks again
Random avatar
Caravan Volumio
Sunday DIYer
Sunday DIYer

Bluetooth Speaker Plugin

Postby CrazyWilly » Sat Mar 03 2018 15:43

Hello together,
first of all thank´s for the great work with hte bluetooth plugin, I have been able to get a connection from a raspberry pi zero to my Bose soundlink Colour and hear a WIFI Internet Radio channel with great audio quality. That´s fantastic!

On the other hand I have some problems with the plugin:

- i could not reproduce my success, althought I tried it several times the Box isn´t connecting
- at my first successfull connection I could not change the volume, neither at the buttons on the box(!) nor with the software buttons in the website or with the Bose App.
- I can´t remove the connected Box, it consists as "connected" in the List but it is not paired physically
- I could not remove the plugin via the manager... it is still there

do you have any suggestions or ideas for me how I can manage that?

Can you tell me where the config files are located so that I can remove the speaker for a fresh reconnect? (/etc/...?)

Thanks in advance!!
CrazyWilly
Fresh off the boat
Fresh off the boat

PreviousNext

Return to Development talks