Best DAC solution for Odroid C2

Mybe i’m wrong but the Odroid C2 have a internal clock for I2S output and no way for use any better external clock, so the only solution is buy a specific DAC made for it : hardkernel.com/main/products … 6355616215
I’m right ? is a good quality DAC ?
Thank’s.

Hi,

We have recently released a Dac kit for Odroid C1+ and C2 which is sold on Volumio shop.
volumio.org/product/g2-labs-odr … ay-remote/

It is based on AKM dac chip and included is a remote control and 3.5" color touch display.
Remote control and display is mainly for switching between internal dac filters and volume control.

Some fetures:
*Isolated ground with onboard isolator between Odroid and Dac
*Discrete output buffer stage without any opamps in signalway
*Large electrolytes 10000uF for PSU part
*Balanced XLR and unbalanced RCA outputs

Hope you like it!

BR
George

I know about that but is so expensive for me and don’t have a reclocker.
I have a question : but what i can do with the display ? work out of box ? they are some video/pictures ?
Thank’s

I keep a hifi shield 2 from hardkernel, i will tell if is better than irdac Arcam

Display is used to control and show volume, digital filter, phase and also to set default parameters for the DAC on each startup.

You can see a few pictures in the end of the manual:
shop.g2labs.org/index.php?contro … tachment=9

BR
George

Realy interesting ! Which kind of chip is used on the DAC ? Will possible to see information about what are playing in the future ?

Ok, i have read that have a Asahi Kasei Microdevices 4452 chip

Hi,

Any experiencia with this dac?

Anyone know if it is compatible with Allo Kali reclocker?

Best regards.

After a 3 days of testing about the hifi shield 2 :
It has a good 3D reconstruction, especially at depth. Good separation of the instruments. pleasant sensation of presence. The bass go down but don’t have a good control, the same for the upper part. Details are in focus but are few. It has a sufficient dynamic but gets confused in the presence of a lot of information.
The IRDAC costs almost 10 times more and gives to you a realy neutral reproduction, dynamics and control at the top , maybe the 3D scene is better on hifi shield 2.

The hifi shield 2 work whit volumio out of the box, just select “ODROIDDAC2” on “Output Device”.
The problem whit volumio it’s the volume control, after 40 the sound i very distorded. I have limit the “Max Volume Level” on playback options menù.

I have the feeling that DAC is better than the first day. They need break-in?

I’m trying to use a DAC with volumio and ODROID board to replace my Arcam IRDAC, the hifi shield 2 is a good DAC but it is not at the level of IRDAC.
What I can try ?

Hi
How about using Odroid c2 with dac board ES9018K2M I2S IIS-32bit 384K /DSD64 128 256 ?
Features:
Can be AC-DC power supply, easy to use
Support for IIS-32bit 384K / DSD64 128 256
Perfect for seamless use with the interface, PCM DSD switching is flawless
ES9018K2M parameters more perfect, 127dB DNR -120dB THD + N is not the old chip can be compared
Specifications:
Voltage:DC 9-18V (2 lines) or AC 7-15V (3 lines)
Output terminal:Human voice
Works well. Delicate mellow, very good extension. Default with NE5532 op amp
RCA +3.5 terminals can be directly connected amplifier, amp, direct access to headphones can also be
Resistance using a sense of VIS cylindrical resistor, high precision active crystal, double-sided immersion gold circuit board fever
Product size: about 7.25*6.40cm/2.85"*2.52"
Quantity:1Set
Note:

1. Due to the different monitor and light effect, the actual color of the item might be slightly different from the color showed on the pictures. Thank you!
  2. Please allow 0.5-1cm measuring deviation due to manual measurement.
    1 cm = 0.3937 "
    Package includes:
    1 x I2S data connection
    1 x ES9018K2M1 Filter film

How about using Odroid c2 with dac board ES9018K2M I2S IIS-32bit 384K /DSD64 128 256 ?
Features:
Can be AC-DC power supply, easy to use
Support for IIS-32bit 384K / DSD64 128 256
Perfect for seamless use with the interface, PCM DSD switching is flawless
ES9018K2M parameters more perfect, 127dB DNR -120dB THD + N is not the old chip can be compared
Specifications:
Voltage:DC 9-18V (2 lines) or AC 7-15V (3 lines)
Output terminal:Human voice
Works well. Delicate mellow, very good extension. Default with NE5532 op amp
RCA +3.5 terminals can be directly connected amplifier, amp, direct access to headphones can also be
Resistance using a sense of VIS cylindrical resistor, high precision active crystal, double-sided immersion gold circuit board fever
Product size: about 7.25*6.40cm/2.85"*2.52"
Quantity:1Set
Note:

1. Due to the different monitor and light effect, the actual color of the item might be slightly different from the color showed on the pictures. Thank you!
  2. Please allow 0.5-1cm measuring deviation due to manual measurement.
    1 cm = 0.3937 "
    Package includes:
    1 x I2S data connection

I’ve gone for the similar, ES9028Q2M model:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ES9028Q2M-ES9028-I2S-Input-Decode-Board-DAC-amplifier-DIY-DSD-IIS-32bit-384K-/182520000074?hash=item2a7f0a2e4a:g:yQcAAOSwAANY527d

Connected to a Pi Zero W. Sounds great so far. Will let it run for a few more hours then change the opAmp to an OPA2134.

Wow great!
I am using Odroid C2. Please explain how to connect to abovementioned DAC via I2s?
See ODROID-C2 PINMAP :

DAC Pin 1 Odroid Pin 7
DAC Pin2 Odroid Pin 6
DAC Pin 3 Odroid Pin 5
DAC Pin 4 Not Connected
DAC Pin 5 Odroid Pin 1

I am very appreciated for your help!

1. What can you say about this DAC ebay.co.uk/itm/ES9028Q2M-ES9 … 2176595885
  2. Maybe this DAC will be better to use with Odroid c2 ?
  3. Сan I use with this board (DAC) external power (adapter)?
  1. That is exactly the DAC I bought and using with a Pi Zero W. It works well through both headphones and feeding a 3116 Amp.
  2. I know very little about Odroids, but would hope that it works in the same way as on a PI I2S
  3. This DAC needs it’s own power supply, either DC 9-18V or AC 7-15V; I’m using a DC12v 1A wallwart to good effect, but will try a DC15V supply (the DAC has the facility for DC5V out, which I will try and use to drive the Pi Zero)

Thank you for explanation!

Hi! Please explain if anybody has connected DAC TDA1541 to Odroid I2s output yet?
TDA1541 needs BCK but Odroid I2s has just SCLK ?

This is just confusing naming on Odroid C2 datasheets about I2S header, this is the pinout.
pin1 - GND
pin2 - Data IN
pin3 - +5V
pin4 - MCLK (Master clock)
pin5 - LRCLK (Left/Right Clock)
pin6 - BCLK (Bit Clock)
pin7 - Data out

For DAC without master clock you need only pins 1,5,6,7. With older DAC’s there might be problem to find right driver because with most 16bit output is sent out as 32bit with lower 16bit as zeros. It is OK with almost all newer DAC’s but might not work older ones. It will depend on oversampling digital filter before TDA1541 and what formats it can handle.