Allo Piano Dac 2.1 first impressions

Diy? Low-budget? Esoterics? Let's discuss about DACS!

Ads helps Volumio remain Free and Open Source. Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Postby marcellom » Mon Nov 07 2016 15:23

Hi, my 2 cents about Allo Piano dac 2.1..im sorry for bad english..
Im using Volumio 2 on Rpi3 and my dacs are
Audiophonics XTCO dac V2 and Piano dac 2.1.
I think that Piano sounds a little bit less natural than Audiophonics, but have more bass and is what i was looking for...
Anyway Piano plays very well and I'm very satisfied.
Im using Piano without Kali so... im very curious to try it with the reclocker.
A little issue i discover: Volumio software volume act only with normal outs, subwoofer out remains fixed.. regardless of normal outputs.
I think that Volumio team is still working on Piano Dac driver..and yes, with 16/44 flac sub out dont works.
marcellom
Objectivist
Objectivist

Ads helps Volumio remain Free and Open Source. Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Postby Blackfear » Mon Nov 07 2016 17:27

marcellom wrote:Hi, my 2 cents about Allo Piano dac 2.1..im sorry for bad english..
I think that Piano sounds a little bit less natural than Audiophonics, but have more bass and is what i was looking for...
A little issue i discover: Volumio software volume act only with normal outs, subwoofer out remains fixed.. regardless of normal outputs.
I think that Volumio team is still working on Piano Dac driver..and yes, with 16/44 flac sub out dont works.

Hello, I have now Mamboberry LS which has ES9023 inside as Audiophonics (according reviews it should sound similar).
For me Mamb. is very live sounding maybe too much transparent in the highs and high middle spectrum , this compare has been made with soundcard asus xonar st (Burr-Brown PCM 1792) , sabre from Mamb. LS is more detailed, i can hear things that i have never heard before during all freq. spectrum (i can clearly hear vocalist when he is going to take a breath before singing and many many other troll details...) but as you told, bass is with ES9023 weaker not so energetic but more detailed, but i have sub. so no problem to harmonize it. I will try piano hifi dac during a week and then i will post my impressions here.... ;)
PS: i used also kali reclocker...
Random avatar
Blackfear
Sunday DIYer
Sunday DIYer

Postby tanelip » Mon Nov 07 2016 17:35

marcellom wrote:Hi, my 2 cents about Allo Piano dac 2.1..im sorry for bad english..

After some browsing at diyaudio forum I found that you can solve this by adding:
Code: Select all
format                "44100:24:2"

to mpd.conf under audio_output

This will play 44.1k files 24bit.

However I'm still looking forward to the Piano 2.1 driver. I hope that the volume control will affect both main speakers and sub. At the moment Volumio volume control affects only the main speakers and nothing happens to subwoofer volume.
Random avatar
tanelip
Fresh off the boat
Fresh off the boat

Postby michelangelo » Mon Nov 07 2016 17:40

Yes, I already made the mod that allows to have both volumes controlled simoultaneously... I am really looking forward to release a fully Piano 2.1 compatible image (with DSPs, crossover frequencies etc)... We are stuck at the moment because we need a GPL compatible license for this part...
michelangelo
Founder

Re: Allo Piano Dac 2.1 first impressions

Postby marcellom » Mon Nov 07 2016 18:21

tanelip wrote:

After some browsing at diyaudio forum I found that you can solve this by adding:
Code: Select all
format                "44100:24:2"

to mpd.conf under audio_output

This will play 44.1k files 24bit.

However I'm still looking forward to the Piano 2.1 driver. I hope that the volume control will affect both main speakers and sub. At the moment Volumio volume control affects only the main speakers and nothing happens to subwoofer volume.

Ho wow,. thank you very very much... great info :)
marcellom
Objectivist
Objectivist

Postby marcellom » Mon Nov 07 2016 18:23

michelangelo wrote:Yes, I already made the mod that allows to have both volumes controlled simoultaneously... I am really looking forward to release a fully Piano 2.1 compatible image (with DSPs, crossover frequencies etc)... We are stuck at the moment because we need a GPL compatible license for this part...

Michelangelo, i know its no easy. Your work (and Volumios team) is great! I thank you for that and wait...
Ciao grande...
marcellom
Objectivist
Objectivist

Postby michelangelo » Mon Nov 07 2016 18:44

Grazie!!!
michelangelo
Founder

Postby marcellom » Mon Nov 07 2016 22:11

Blackfear wrote:

Hello, I have now Mamboberry LS which has ES9023 inside as Audiophonics (according reviews it should sound similar).
For me Mamb. is very live sounding maybe too much transparent in the highs and high middle spectrum , this compare has been made with soundcard asus xonar st (Burr-Brown PCM 1792) , sabre from Mamb. LS is more detailed, i can hear things that i have never heard before during all freq. spectrum (i can clearly hear vocalist when he is going to take a breath before singing and many many other troll details...) but as you told, bass is with ES9023 weaker not so energetic but more detailed, but i have sub. so no problem to harmonize it. I will try piano hifi dac during a week and then i will post my impressions here.... ;)

Thank for your post Blackfear... could i ask how you connect subwoofer to Mamboberry? Sub outs like the Piano?
marcellom
Objectivist
Objectivist

Postby Blackfear » Tue Nov 08 2016 06:24

marcellom wrote:
Blackfear wrote:

Thank for your post Blackfear... could i ask how you connect subwoofer to Mamboberry? Sub outs like the Piano?

You are welcome, normally through my amp. yamaha AS701 so not to Mamboberry, can you give me more details regarding comparing your former Audiophonics vs recently used Piano 2.1. Thanks :mrgreen:
Random avatar
Blackfear
Sunday DIYer
Sunday DIYer

Postby marcellom » Tue Nov 08 2016 07:24

Sure!
I'm trying Piano only to one day but I can tell you that there is a clear difference in the low and low mids notes, more marked in the Piano rather Audiophonics dac. The bass is still controlled and I think it will improve even after a period of adjustment. As for the 3d stages, the separation of the channels, the detail, I think DAC Plan and Audiophonics are very similar ..
If you have something specific to ask me ..I am here :)
marcellom
Objectivist
Objectivist

Next

Return to DACs