Allo Piano Dac 2.1 first impressions

Diy? Low-budget? Esoterics? Let's discuss about DACS!

Ads helps Volumio remain Free and Open Source. Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Postby erguro » Tue Mar 19 2019 12:39

rkc wrote:new versions 2.502 2.505 /lib/firmware/allo firmware folder missing.

Hello @rkc

I know how to connect with SSH to raspberry Pi but could you help me how to install DSP Files on it?

Thanks in advance
Random avatar
erguro
Fresh off the boat
Fresh off the boat

Ads helps Volumio remain Free and Open Source. Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Postby chuckie2 » Tue Apr 02 2019 15:28

I have Allo Vana (Sparky-piano 2.1-kali-volt), and had trouble wit all softwares (Allo, max2play, ubuntu...) except Volumio.
Unfortunately, I can´t control the subwoofers (2) with the Volumio playback settings on 2.2:

--Dual stereo + none (subs) = I manually control the subs.

--None + 2.2 (subs) = I manually control the subs

--Other settings do not work OK.

The subs response is not OK in any situation.

I tried a fix suggested in a forum:
--sudo wget
--sudo tar -xvf piano-firmware.tar -C /lib/

Either I am really bad at Linux, or the Sparky don´t let me.

If someone knows a solution, ...............
Random avatar
chuckie2
Fresh off the boat
Fresh off the boat

Postby taichauchau » Thu Feb 13 2020 20:02

aconst wrote:
angelo.b wrote:...I would like to exploit the 2.1 plan to make a two-way system more sub in the car...

Hi,
Think about the temperatures in the car in the winter and in the summer: -20°C-70°C when the car is the entire day in the sun (just touch the top of the car during the summer if you do not believe it). I personally do not think that your Raspberry Pi will survive long under these conditions.

Think about that if the stack is not properly shut down (e.g. hard switch off) the micro SD card in the RaspberryPi can be corrupt and your system will not function properly. For people loving switching off the Raspberry Pi (like myself) I recommend:
- always make a back-up of the own settings and have a ready-to-use additional micro sd card
- use an SBC with eMMC storage (e.g. Asus tinkerboard)
- use another fail safe system which does not need to write on the micro sd card (e.g. PicorePlayer)

These being said, do you think that the sound quality difference between Piano 2.1 and a normal car audio will be noticeable in a car? While driving?
Your audio chain is only as good as the weakest part.

Regards,
Adrian

Hi Adrian,

I had solved all you mentioned.
I had built a metal case for housing all stuffs inside. For the back of it, I laser cut rca, power and Pi's usb, lan. The aluminum case with heat transfer pad can also transfer heat to outside. Test pi4b at 32c without problem. But of course the case is hidden from direct sunlight. I'm here in Hong Kong we do not have snow test. But I think if the pi has a case it will be survive in winter by adding usb lan covers.

I designed a PCB to control pi on and off with delay feature preventing hard reboot while engine start. It will also control pi to shutdown by gpio button add-on.

Using autostart add-on is really needed.

Moreover, power is important. I used 2 of 12v to 5.2v converter to power the pi and piano2.1+kali. Believe it or not for dac side I found that to use different cap gets different sound quality. All I used are Europe base caps. With 10F super cap it can stand the pi power consumption for shutdown process after key removed.

I made 8 of pi3 units to all my friends 1 year ago without any issue. I'm making another 10 for pi4 since the usb lan layout is different from 3. And add HDMI output port to the case.

I have removed my car audio and well attached a touch screen 8 inches monitor for display. Everything works fine.

But you need to know..... The pi boots very slow, around 1 min. It is different from normal car audio. But for Such sound quality I think it is worth to wait.
Attachments
IMG_20190613_161000.jpg
IMG_20190613_161000.jpg (9.9 MiB) Viewed 77 times
IMG_20190726_141212.jpg
IMG_20190726_141212.jpg (4.34 MiB) Viewed 77 times
IMG_20190726_141159.jpg
IMG_20190726_141159.jpg (4.62 MiB) Viewed 77 times
Random avatar
taichauchau
Fresh off the boat
Fresh off the boat