Allo Piano Dac 2.1 first impressions

Diy? Low-budget? Esoterics? Let's discuss about DACS!

Ads helps Volumio remain Free and Open Source. Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Postby aconst » Wed Jan 23 2019 14:55

gkkpch wrote:...There were reports of Allo Piano 2.1 not working with the latest Volumio version (under investigation) so we need to clear that first.

Hi Gkkpch

My Allo Piano 2.1 system works fine with the latest Volumio version.
My system: RPi3 + Kali + Piano 2.1 (dual mono) + 1xPSU
For any other details (logs, screen-shots etc.) please ask on PM.

Regards,
Adrian
Random avatar
aconst
Serious Listener
Serious Listener

Ads helps Volumio remain Free and Open Source. Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Postby aconst » Wed Jan 23 2019 15:11

angelo.b wrote:...I would like to exploit the 2.1 plan to make a two-way system more sub in the car...

Hi,
Think about the temperatures in the car in the winter and in the summer: -20°C-70°C when the car is the entire day in the sun (just touch the top of the car during the summer if you do not believe it). I personally do not think that your Raspberry Pi will survive long under these conditions.

Think about that if the stack is not properly shut down (e.g. hard switch off) the micro SD card in the RaspberryPi can be corrupt and your system will not function properly. For people loving switching off the Raspberry Pi (like myself) I recommend:
- always make a back-up of the own settings and have a ready-to-use additional micro sd card
- use an SBC with eMMC storage (e.g. Asus tinkerboard)
- use another fail safe system which does not need to write on the micro sd card (e.g. PicorePlayer)

These being said, do you think that the sound quality difference between Piano 2.1 and a normal car audio will be noticeable in a car? While driving?
Your audio chain is only as good as the weakest part.

Regards,
Adrian
Random avatar
aconst
Serious Listener
Serious Listener

Postby angelo.b » Wed Jan 23 2019 18:09

thanks for the reply.actually use raspberry and digital card hifiberry .enter in digital on dsp audison bit ten.mai had problems and the sound is very pleasant.Unfortunately the dsp from cars have a fabulous dsp section but the conversion is limited perhaps by too many output channels.to have something acceptable I have to spend 1000 euros and we are always in the order of 192 khz. running volumio I am imbued in these wonderful dac that have convertors absurdi.perero'dould miss a section dsp adeguate.se with volumio plugins I can make an optimal correction I throw away everything and put a dac katana with an amplifier and passive filter.I just understand how to integrate the sub.ecco because I wanted to try the plan dac 2.1.perio 'I saw that in mode 2.1 ranging from 384khz to 192khz.are all evaluations.on the temperatures adottero'le right precautions.for shutdown I use the interface and after a few seconds turn the key. a long answer
Random avatar
angelo.b
Serious Listener
Serious Listener

Postby Arvis » Fri Feb 01 2019 12:48

Hello. Maybe someone did comparison between Piano 2.1 + Kali and Khadas tone board? Which one sounds better?
Random avatar
Arvis
Fresh off the boat
Fresh off the boat

Postby Roberto_S » Thu Feb 21 2019 21:09

Hello,
I'm so frustrated... I think I need some help here...
I decided to upgrade from my previous RPI+Justboom DAC, so I've bought a brand new PIANO 2.1 + KALI.

This is the actual setup:
raspberry pi 3 model b+
VOLUMIO 2.555 with myvolumio VIRTUOSO
KALI
PIANO 2.1

Everything is mounted and seems to work BUT:
1. afer setting DUAL STEREO and 2.1 SW mode I often get again default values after reboot. Volumio seems not so save the values most of the times.
2. anyway, despite being 2.1 mode on, I can't see sub channel options, no crossover frequency setups
What I get is always this screen:

What about the two little switches on the PIANO DAC? (RPI Compatibility ON/OFF) I tried them in every position but nothing changes.

Thanks in advance for your kind help!
Random avatar
Roberto_S
Fresh off the boat
Fresh off the boat

Postby jonners » Fri Feb 22 2019 09:11

@Roberto_S

Setting DUAL STEREO will give you the full frequency range from both DAC chips, as will DUAL MONO. You need a different setting - not sure what it is though since I no longer use the Piano 2.1. Is there a DUAL MODE OFF setting?
RPi 2b // Terra-Berry DAC2 // Hypex UcD180 // Bi-amped OBs with Visaton B200, Goodmans 15", Neo3 tweeters.
jonners
Audiophile
Audiophile

Re: Allo Piano Dac 2.1 first impressions

Postby Roberto_S » Fri Feb 22 2019 10:08

jonners wrote:@Roberto_S

Setting DUAL STEREO will give you the full frequency range from both DAC chips, as will DUAL MONO. You need a different setting - not sure what it is though since I no longer use the Piano 2.1. Is there a DUAL MODE OFF setting?
Damn... the lack of documentation is the problem about these toys.
I'll check if there's a non-dual option. So "dual" is for "full range" from both DACs?

Inviato dal mio SM-T819 utilizzando Tapatalk
Random avatar
Roberto_S
Fresh off the boat
Fresh off the boat

Re: Allo Piano Dac 2.1 first impressions

Postby jonners » Fri Feb 22 2019 12:59

Roberto_S wrote:
jonners wrote:@Roberto_S

Damn... the lack of documentation is the problem about these toys.
I'll check if there's a non-dual option. So "dual" is for "full range" from both DACs?

Inviato dal mio SM-T819 utilizzando Tapatalk

The documentation is on the Allo website: https://www.amazon.com/clouddrive/share ... _link_copy
You have to set DUAL MODE to NONE and Subwoofer Mode to either 2.1 or 2.2.
RPi 2b // Terra-Berry DAC2 // Hypex UcD180 // Bi-amped OBs with Visaton B200, Goodmans 15", Neo3 tweeters.
jonners
Audiophile
Audiophile

Postby erguro » Tue Mar 19 2019 07:44

Hello Everybody

I have same problem as @jonners

I´m using Volumio 2.555 with Piano 2.1 and raspberry Pi 3B+ SD card Sandisk Ultra 16GB

I tried to set Dualmode = None And Subwoofer Mode 2.2

First of all in my Allo Piano 2.1 DSP Options Menu there isn`t Lowpass Option

Then when I select, Dualmode = None And Subwoofer Mode 2.2 then I press Save and it seems that is applying configuration (shaded screen and little balls moving in middle of screen) but after that, no green pop up with succes message. I often get again default values after reboot. Volumio seems not save the values

If I get out config window and then come back I can see Dualmode = None and Subwoofer Mode = None, I tried several times with different SW1 Position and even removing power supply.

If I choose Dualmode = None and SubwooferMode 2.0 then I can see Lowpass Option but No filtering at dual outputs (I suppose that´s normal because 2.0 doesn´t have to improve crossovers)

Is it possible that DSP Subwoofer Conf files are not preload, as I told before I can´t see Lowpass option in 2.1 and 2.2 modes, It seems that when Volumio Search for these DSP modes, can´t found them

Thanks in advance for your help

Best Regards
Random avatar
erguro
Fresh off the boat
Fresh off the boat

Postby rkc » Tue Mar 19 2019 10:37

new versions 2.502 2.505 /lib/firmware/allo firmware folder missing.
Random avatar
rkc
Fresh off the boat
Fresh off the boat

PreviousNext

Return to DACs