ALLO Boss

Diy? Low-budget? Esoterics? Let's discuss about DACS!

Ads helps Volumio remain Free and Open Source. Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

ALLO Boss

Postby slackuser » Thu Mar 09 2017 09:14

allo wrote:Do a fresh install.

reset to defaults didn't work, so I put fresh image of the newest version and now everything is detected correctly. thanks!
Random avatar
slackuser
Fresh off the boat
Fresh off the boat

Ads helps Volumio remain Free and Open Source. Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

ALLO Boss

Postby Saiyato » Sat Mar 11 2017 21:02

My BOSS just arrived today, have been playing a bit with my plugins first and was looking to build a case... I do have a question though, the BOSS has GPIO headers, they should be the same as on the Pi right? As in they are connected to the corresponding pin on the Pi.

I mean according to the documentation the J19 header should contain SDA1 and SCL1 (i2c), when I connect my LCD, i2cdetect gives me:
Code: Select all
     0  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  a  b  c  d  e  f
00:          -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
10: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
20: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
30: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
40: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- 4d -- --
50: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
60: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
70: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --

Ergo the code should be 4d? But if I put that (0x4d) in the LCDd.conf the screen stays blank, if I connect it straight to the pi I get 27, putting that (0x27) in the LCDd.conf does put text on the LCD. Am I doing something wrong, or is it maybe a driver issue (I think not, because i2cdetect works). Or maybe the BOSS requires a bit more configuration on that part.

Can someone with a little more knowledge shed some light on this? It could be that I'm putting the wrong port in the config; I've tried: 0x4d, 0x4D, 0x4dd, 0x4DD, 0x44d, 0x44D and ofc 0x27. These seemed most likely, but I could be reading the ic2detect output wrong.

Please help :roll:
Just.Love.Music.
Saiyato
Golden Ear
Golden Ear

ALLO Boss

Postby Saiyato » Sun Mar 12 2017 09:33

New update, it appeared that the last install was incomplete, I forgot to turn on i2s, but now I get the UU (skipped):

Code: Select all
     0  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  a  b  c  d  e  f
00:          -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
10: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
20: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
30: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
40: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- UU -- --
50: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
60: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
70: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --

Will try again this afternoon ;) But feel free to jump in if you have tips and/or tricks ;)

UPDATE: I see now that the BOSS DAC 'uses' (it's reserved for the Volt) the I2C signals, can someone from allo confirm that I cannot use the SDA/SCL signals for my LCD? :)
Just.Love.Music.
Saiyato
Golden Ear
Golden Ear

ALLO Boss

Postby allo » Mon Mar 13 2017 12:38

Answer from our engineers :

""I2C signals on the connect J19 of Boss Board can be used for any other board. We have tested it, works fine.
I2C is also used by Boss board and address is(0x4d) .
You are getting value of Boss board "
Random avatar
allo
Objectivist
Objectivist

ALLO Boss

Postby emalandain » Tue Mar 14 2017 10:03

Hi,
just ordered a Boss DAC, intending to use it with my RPI3 and Volumio.
I know the first design of the board had to be modified because of a small mistake with capacitor/resistor.
Does anybody know how to make sure I'm getting the new corrected version ?
Thanks a lot for any information about that, and thanks for such a great piece of software !
E.M.
Random avatar
emalandain
Sunday DIYer
Sunday DIYer

ALLO Boss

Postby michelangelo » Tue Mar 14 2017 10:41

emalandain wrote:Hi,
just ordered a Boss DAC, intending to use it with my RPI3 and Volumio.
I know the first design of the board had to be modified because of a small mistake with capacitor/resistor.
Does anybody know how to make sure I'm getting the new corrected version ?
Thanks a lot for any information about that, and thanks for such a great piece of software !
E.M.

I reply for Allo: the unit I received was a pre-production one. They started production once they fixed the issue, so your DAC will be 100% the correct version.
I received my new version of the Allo BOSS yesterday, and the sound is more balanced now: mediums are how they should be. The difference is not very noticeable, but its there. Allo, bravi!
michelangelo
Founder

ALLO Boss

Postby emalandain » Tue Mar 14 2017 11:18

Hi Michelangelo and thanks for your quick answer. Good to know I don't have to worry about that. I'm really looking forward to listening to it, your review makes it sound excellent.
Have a nice day !
Random avatar
emalandain
Sunday DIYer
Sunday DIYer

ALLO Boss

Postby Saiyato » Tue Mar 14 2017 18:43

allo wrote:Answer from our engineers :

""I2C signals on the connect J19 of Boss Board can be used for any other board. We have tested it, works fine.
I2C is also used by Boss board and address is(0x4d) .
You are getting value of Boss board "

Hey allo,

You are right! I2C does work, but the documentation is wrong I think. In the technical manual the top left pin (image on page three) should be PIN1 right? So PIN5 (SDA) should be third from the top on the left row, but it is third from the top on the right row, and so on. So the pinout diagram is right for the Allo volt, but should be mirrored for the Boss documentation. Correct me if I'm wrong of course. :)
Just.Love.Music.
Saiyato
Golden Ear
Golden Ear

ALLO Boss

Postby allo » Wed Mar 15 2017 17:41

Sorry , I just seen the last post...I think you are right our team will check it in the morning.
Random avatar
allo
Objectivist
Objectivist

ALLO Boss

Postby John » Thu Mar 16 2017 16:23

I want to feed my Boss Dac separately. In the tech manual on the allo website I read:

*Optional 5V battery power in connector (J4) provided for future use. CAUTION: R826 Resistor to be removed (to isolate sbc power from boss power) before connecting external power on J4 connector.

I do not see an R826 but on that place on the PCB I see a 0-resistor, I suppose it is the same?

And, is it also possible to isolate the Raspberry from the Boss by bending Raspberry GPIO pins 2,4,6 (so that I do not need to remove the 0-resistor)?

I hope someone can help me with these questions!
Random avatar
John
Sunday DIYer
Sunday DIYer

PreviousNext

Return to DACs