ALLO Boss

Diy? Low-budget? Esoterics? Let's discuss about DACS!

Ads helps Volumio remain Free and Open Source. Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

ALLO Boss

Postby ssbaksa » Thu Jan 16 2020 08:33

Hi,
I recently bought an Allo BOSS DAC for my long time used RBPi 2B+

For more than 2 years I was satisfied with what I get as sound output from internal RBPi DAC but eventually decision come and I have added new BOSS DAC.

Satisfaction was short. Sound is great but now I have audible noise (50 Hz Mains noise) from audio output which I didn't have before. I have combined all types of power supply. Original, with higher current output, dual supply's, dual supply where one is battery on DAC etc. Even changed board to RBPi 3 but noise was constant. Accidentally I have connected HDMI cable and noise was gone. My first thought was that it was problem with HDMI termination but it was false hope. Somehow it is enough to connect any RBPi connector shield with mains ground and noise is almost completely gone, you can hear it only when volume is turned to 0 db.

Amplifier is Sansui AU-317 but I have used Technics SU-Z2 before and there was no noise when I have used original RBPi audio output.

Does anyone have any suggestion which doesn't include buying 100€ (or more) power supply.
Random avatar
ssbaksa
Fresh off the boat
Fresh off the boat

Ads helps Volumio remain Free and Open Source. Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

ALLO Boss

Postby rost21A » Thu Jan 16 2020 09:10

Hello
The problem is most likely a contact problem with the crowd. (Ground loop)
Do you hear the noise on both sides or only on one side?
It can also be magnetic interference from a transformer on a neighboring device, but I think it's more of a ground problem.
Are the contacts between RPI and BOSS all OK? (GPIO)
Are the cables between BOSS and Amp OK?

I have been using the BOSS for a long time (V.1.4) and I am really extremely satisfied. I use the iFi audio power supply.

I hope my tips help solve the problem.

regards
rost21A
Rasperry Pi 2 / 3
Connected to Allo Boss DAC 1.2 (with dual Ultra low noise Power supply from DIYINHK, 0.8uV (LT3042), iFi-Audio iPower)
Hypex nCore 400 Amp, Boenicke Audio W5 SE Speaker
Listen to Flac up to 24/192 kHz, Qobuz Hi-Fi Sublime+...
Random avatar
rost21A
Audiophile
Audiophile

ALLO Boss

Postby rost21A » Thu Jan 16 2020 09:14

Hello
Do you use an ethernet cable or wifi?
If Ethernet, I recommend using an unshielded cable.
I use wifi (USB wifi dongle)
With wifi there are no ground problems and no noise from the router or switch.

regards
rost21A
Rasperry Pi 2 / 3
Connected to Allo Boss DAC 1.2 (with dual Ultra low noise Power supply from DIYINHK, 0.8uV (LT3042), iFi-Audio iPower)
Hypex nCore 400 Amp, Boenicke Audio W5 SE Speaker
Listen to Flac up to 24/192 kHz, Qobuz Hi-Fi Sublime+...
Random avatar
rost21A
Audiophile
Audiophile

ALLO Boss

Postby ssbaksa » Thu Jan 16 2020 12:47

Ethernet cable. I have double checked it and it is unshielded. Before using DAC there was no noise at all. I am using the same RBPi.
When I ground RBPi noice is almost completely gone, just barely audible when attenuation is nil.
Random avatar
ssbaksa
Fresh off the boat
Fresh off the boat

ALLO Boss

Postby michelangelo » Thu Jan 16 2020 12:56

michelangelo
Founder

ALLO Boss

Postby ssbaksa » Thu Jan 16 2020 17:51

Hi Michelangelo,

I will check info from those links that you have shared but, in the mean time, i have checked Ethernet cable again.
When I disconnect Ethernet cable noise changes to different kind. I can say that pitch of sound was changed and noise was worsened.
As it happens the devil didn't give me any rest so I have decided to test connection with shielded cable and Surprise! Surprise!
noise is gone. Does that have any logic to you? To any one? I have just grounded my RPi and noise is gone.

I have checked again without BOSS DAC and set it up as before with old cable and internal RPi DAC - no noise at all.
So, for using RPi + BOSS DAC I need shielded Ethernet cable to ground RPi board.
Random avatar
ssbaksa
Fresh off the boat
Fresh off the boat

ALLO Boss

Postby paolosnz » Tue Jan 21 2020 14:08

Ciao Michelangelo
I bought a boos that mounted on rasp 4 was not seen by volume, I changed the product and the new one worked on the first attempt ... (a rev 1.5 has arrived) mounts on amplifier (harman kardon avr 132)
doing tests from the web interface I tried to put the volume on mute and then increase .. it no longer worked :(
the track flows, not showing signs of errors but no longer emits sounds
what happened?
Random avatar
paolosnz
Fresh off the boat
Fresh off the boat

Previous

Return to DACs