ALLO Boss

Diy? Low-budget? Esoterics? Let's discuss about DACS!

Ads helps Volumio remain Free and Open Source. Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

ALLO Boss

Postby michelangelo » Wed Feb 22 2017 20:03

stunta wrote:@michelangelo, this is what Allo said about the Boss on another thread.

allo wrote:Seems like a good choice. If you have already Kali + Pianos (or some other slave DAC) it might not be worth to buy the BOSS.

It would be good to support your subjective findings with objective measurements. That way your post does not look like a paid advertisement, which I am sure its not ;)

Yes, I would be quite happy to provide some measurements, unfortunately I don't have any Sound Precision hardware, nor 30k euros to get it :D
In any case, I hope my listening impressions are taken as just listening impressions...
I talk (and list on the shop) only about devices I really like, and I think it would be quite stupid to advertise something good and be contradicted by the community after they listen to it. ;)
However, since nobody should take for granted stuff that other people say about audio, I would really love to hear other opinions on the BOSS (that is very useful also for me to have a benchmark for my impressions). Would you be interested in reviewing it and telling us your impressions? If yes, send me a PM ;)
michelangelo
Founder

Ads helps Volumio remain Free and Open Source. Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

ALLO Boss

Postby michelangelo » Wed Feb 22 2017 20:08

RDaneel wrote:@Michelangelo: the Allo Boss Dac requires a new driver in the Linux kernel: the current image available for the download already contains it? It is more than two months old, so I think you will have to release a new Volumio image?

Furthermore I read that two lines must be changed in the /boot/config.txt file:

Code: Select all
dtparam=i2c=on
dtoverlay=allo-boss-dac-pcm512x-audio

Will we need to manually add them, or will they automatically set by Volumio?

It will be fully supported by Volumio when shipped. There is a new release of Volumio which has many many new features, one of which is BOSS Support.
michelangelo
Founder

ALLO Boss

Postby RDaneel » Wed Feb 22 2017 22:03

stunta wrote:It would be good to support your subjective findings with objective measurements.

The Allo website lists a measurement of the jitter: it's about 638 fs.

I found it here and here the whole documentation.
I wasn't able to find any other measurement.
---
Roberto
RDaneel
Sunday DIYer
Sunday DIYer

ALLO Boss

Postby danielfelix » Thu Feb 23 2017 01:14

@michelangello, in the first post of this post you refer to the play list used to test this DAC. What do you use as a music source? Flac, CD, DSF, Spotify, other?
Regards
Daniel
RaspberryPi3 + Allo Boos DAC + Amp. Kenwood KA-400 + Focal Chorus 726 + Turntable Dual 504 + Cartdrige Shure M91E + Linear Power Unit DIY
danielfelix
Objectivist
Objectivist

ALLO Boss

Postby michelangelo » Thu Feb 23 2017 01:41

danielfelix wrote:@michelangello, in the first post of this post you refer to the play list used to test this DAC. What do you use as a music source? Flac, CD, DSF, Spotify, other?
Regards

All 44\16 FLACs . I've been living with the BOSS for more than a week now, I will update the review in the weekend with some minor considerations
michelangelo
Founder

ALLO Boss

Postby danielfelix » Thu Feb 23 2017 02:06

Gracias!
Daniel
RaspberryPi3 + Allo Boos DAC + Amp. Kenwood KA-400 + Focal Chorus 726 + Turntable Dual 504 + Cartdrige Shure M91E + Linear Power Unit DIY
danielfelix
Objectivist
Objectivist

ALLO Boss

Postby Sisim » Thu Feb 23 2017 10:21

michelangelo wrote:There is a new release of Volumio which has many many new features, one of which is BOSS Support.

@michelangelo Great! When do you think this new release will be available? Can you already disclose the new features it includes?
Sisim
Sunday DIYer
Sunday DIYer

ALLO Boss

Postby medioevo » Thu Feb 23 2017 12:19

I have an old Raspberry with 26 Pin. I have to buy a newer RPI to use with this tool.
Which RPI do you think is better?
I hear about some noise's issue with other DAC.
Random avatar
medioevo
Sunday DIYer
Sunday DIYer

ALLO Boss

Postby michelangelo » Thu Feb 23 2017 14:19

medioevo wrote:I have an old Raspberry with 26 Pin. I have to buy a newer RPI to use with this tool.
Which RPI do you think is better?
I hear about some noise's issue with other DAC.

I would get a PI3: faster and with integrated wifi
michelangelo
Founder

ALLO Boss

Postby medioevo » Thu Feb 23 2017 14:34

I read about some noise on PI3 with WIFI.
I have to use WIFI because my HIFI isn't reached by ethernet.

Do you confirm no problem between PI3 and BOSS using wifi?

e
Random avatar
medioevo
Sunday DIYer
Sunday DIYer

PreviousNext

Return to DACs