All-in-one alleater streamer with HDD for Xmas

Tell us how you made up your Volumio powered Project

Ads helps Volumio remain Free and Open Source. Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Postby A64 » Fri Nov 08 2019 10:19

Dear Forum Members,

this is the 1st time I use this forum because after 2 days of seaching, googling and crawling on the web I'm still confused, how to proceed to my goal. Which is actually very simple: I'd like to build a RPi based quality player device for my father, he has a reasonably good hifi at home, medium sized (rather big) 3-way stereo, good-old Technics amp with RCA inputs - and his good-old Technics CD player.

But he plays the piano, he's very musical and has excellent hearing so I'd like to build him an audiophile player device in form of a flat set-top-box (or like a CD player, dac, etc).

My problem is not the solution itself - the RASPDAC Mini from Audiophonics would just fit my needs perfectly - if it had some more space for a 2.5" or even 3.5" NAS hard drive. (1-4 TB, connected via SATA3 - USB adapter and then connected to the Pi internally).

- So now I'm looking for somewhat bigger cases but then what kind of back panel do I use for the appliance ? There're tons of great aluminum cases out there, even mITX compatible ones, but the back panel is an issue then, I assume I would need something unique for that.

- I don't want to use the RASPDAC case with an external separate USB HDD, that's just not the same. I need 1 piece of do-everything device. However, the RASPDAC solution itself is very appealing to me, with the ES9038Q2M. Maybe I can put a reclocker (IANCANADA or Kali) between the Pi and the DAC hat, too (I need to check).

How would you proceed ?

Shall I maybe get all the Pi stack, put it into a good looking basic case from Aliexpress, get a back panel for the Pi itself and re-solder the DAC RCA outs onto that new back panel ? + of course a little PSU inside the whole stack, with proper shielding, separate PSU for the Pi, the 3.5" HDD and all that stuff and at the end I have the final solution..

I could also use a flat nice passive cooled mini ITX case and make all that happen on x86 platform, but such motherboards don't have I2S pins sadly so I cannot use this little 9038Q2M DAC board with that.

I just want to pack everything into one case so that my father doesn't have to deal with a DIY cable mess. :D

Many thanks :)
Random avatar
A64
Fresh off the boat
Fresh off the boat

Ads helps Volumio remain Free and Open Source. Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Postby chsims1 » Sat Nov 09 2019 09:14

You seem to answered your original question yourself here ;). Decide what you want to enclose, find a nice case, and customise the back panel for outputs. I'd just be a bit wary of how warm it gets though, especially if using a RPi 4 (along with power supplies and HDD).

Good luck and let us know how you get on.
New to Volumio? Please read the Quick Start Guide to get your system up and running :). FAQs? Docs?
chsims1

Postby Bigguy2018 » Tue Nov 12 2019 08:50

You'll have to make a back panel to suit - mark up, drill, file and spray paint.
There are lots of nice cases on Ebay.
Use short extension cables from RPi to back panel and a 2.5" USB HDD.
RPi4 will need a decent heatsink and a fan - this can be powered from a USB port (I use a 12V fan on the 5V USB supply, it's very quiet)

Here's one I made earlier...
https://forum.volumio.org/volumio-build-t9833.html
RPi 3B, HiFiBerry DAC Pro + , RemotePi, Volumio
RPi 4, OSA DACBerry ONE, Volumio
Bigguy2018
Sunday DIYer
Sunday DIYer

Return to Diy Volumio Projects