Album art stored on NAS drive -> worse performance?

Hello community,

my two Volumio devices have access to my music library via NAS (Raspberry Pi 3 with external HDD running on LibreELEC 9.0.2).

Every folder contains album art and I really want to use my own artworks, but when I use Volumio, it takes about 5 seconds until the HDD awakes from standby mode - until this happens, I see no album art while browsing through my Volumio library and the performance is pretty bad.

I think this could be solved if album art can be stored on my Volumio device itself, but I don’t want Volumio to download the artwork from an external source because a lot of the album covers are in lower resolution than needed or even not available. Btw, I have no problem if the music starts playing after my HDD awakes from standby, but I want to be able to browse my library instantly when I want to listen to some music.

I feel like this behaviour is relatively new as I didn’t really experience such performance problems in the past. I also didn’t change the HDD, so this shouldn’t be the reason, I guess.

Any opinions on how to optimize the performance in this case? Would be great to get some advice from you guys. Maybe it’s possible to transfer my album art to the Volumio SD card… idk.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Kind regards from Munich, Germany.

Sebastian